From the archive record
In the year 1895, the then Archbishop Mgr. Gandhi consecrated the Archdiocese of Pondicherry to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. He wished to build a new church in devotion of Sacred Heart of Jesus. Rev. Fr. Telesphore Welter, the parish priest of Nellithope prepared the building plan and parish priest of the Cathedral Rev.Fr. Fourcaud commenced the construction of the new church in 1902 at the Southern side of Pondicherry. The blessing of the church and the first mass were held at the western wing of the present church by Mgr. Gandhi on 17, December 1907 and the new parish surrounding this church was established on 27, January 1908. The year 2008-2009 was celebrated as the centenary year of the founding of the parish. A special postal stamp and postal envelope were released to mark the valedict